Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Health Care Rant

The diagnosis was chronic sinusitis and an allergy to mold.  The treatment was three different allergy medications and weekly shots.  A year later, I have dropped one of the prescriptions and have graduated to bi-weekly "maintenance" shots.

In the past, say six months, I have come to the conclusion that I will never entirely kick this allergy.  I might be taking Allegra D for the rest of my life.  There are way worse things.  However:

Several months ago, when I went online to re-order my 90-day supply of the drug, I was shocked to find the cost had gone up:  $340 and change.  Now my insurance pretty well reimburses me for the cost, but still.  $340/90 days = $3.78 per day.  For one drug.

Claritin D has been available over-the-counter for awhile now.  Both drugs are aniti-histamines and both have a decongentant.  My insurance won't cover Claritin D, but my flexible spending account will.  Claritin D costs $20 for a 15 day supply on drugstore.com.  $20/15 days = $1.33 per day.  About 35% of Allegra D. 

I have pretty well determined that the decongestant, rather than the anti-histamine, is important to me.  So I gave Claritin D a try.  I bought a box on drugstore.com.  It seems to be working.  So I went back on line to order a 90-day supply.  Do you see where this is going?

Drugstore.com gave me the message that my state regulates the drug and I can only order one box at a time. You know, because of the meth-fiends.

Unacceptable.

There is no way I am going to pay shipping every two weeks for this drug, and there is no way I am going to go to the actual drugstore every two weeks to pick it up.  I will just keep my prescription, thank you.

This is me, one of the trying-to-be-good people, leaving the conscientious-consumer party because the regulations are lame.  I am sorry, Blue Cross, but I ordered the Allegra D.

No comments: