Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, by Lisa Kleypas

Book 60 of 50 Book Challenge, Book 4 of the Holiday Book Challenges

I accidentally read a romance novel.  I don't know how it happened.  I thought it was about a little girl that lost her mother and found her voice and her joy again at Christmas.  It was really about an uncle/guardian and the new lady in town who happens to be a young widow that has opened a new toy shop on one of those islands off the coast of Seattle.  Next time, I must really read more  than two lines of the jacket summary.

It wasn't a bodice ripper by any stretch, and for most of the novel it was pristine near to Jane Austen.  And then it wasn't.  And I found myself thinking, "Really?  You knew that dude was a player and didn't even consider the birth control?"

It has been a really long time since I read a romance novel.

All of the characters were perfectly pleasant - even the girlfriend that was ditched.  There wasn't very much conflict, which was fine, too.  The "Christmas" connection was pretty weak, but that was ok.  But I think I gotta go back to the Christmas murder mysteries now.


No comments: