Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Everything Old is Still Old

The Christmas Conversation at my House

Ainslie (age 3):  Alex! Alex!  Sing "Jingle Bells Batman Smells!"
Alex (Age 6 1/2): (complies)
Mom (to my brother, Scott):  Wonder where he got that?
Scott: I didn't do it!
Mom:  Oh, yeah?  It was your favorite..
Scott:  School kids, kids in the neighborhood...
Me: (completely believing him) Seriously.  An entire generation later and the kids can't come up with anything better than "Jingle Bells Batman Smells?"
Scott:  Guess not.

This reminded me of a day my freshman year of high school.  I had been passing notes in Geometry with my friend, Todd.  He wrote out an entire dirty joke on a piece of notebook paper that (of course) fell out of my back pack when I got home.  I don't remember what the joke was.

My mother grabbed it, read it and handed it to my father.  As I thought I was about to be scolded, I prepared for battle.  But my father said, "I've got news for you, kid.  I heard that joke when I was in high school."  My mother said, "I didn't hear it until college.  When your father told it to me."

I grabbed my stuff and went to my room, totally disgusted.

No comments: