Saturday, November 7, 2009

POTUS and a Lightsaber

John Scalzi writes many funny things and many true things.  The other day, he wrote something that I just loved about the Sci Fi geeks that whine about when their obsession is going to go mainstream.  I am not a real Sci Fi geek.  I am a poser.  But personally, I think those people are morons.  I hate when the things I think are cool go mainstream.

Quick example, and excuse me while I date myself:

Remember Wayne's World?  There was a scene when Wayne, Garth and their friends are singing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody in the car.  Mock serious, like total dorks.  My brother and I did that with our friends.  All.  The.  Time.  When we first saw the scene, we about died from the cool.  And then everyone was doing it and it was all over.  I had to find a new favorite Freddie Mercury song.

Anyway.  Scalzi.  This is what he said:

"When the goddamned President of the United States makes Vulcan salutes and is photographed quite unselfconsciously whipping a lightsaber about on the White House lawn, you have won."

With this pic:



The President has never looked so hot.  But that stance...a bit too much of the Hamlet and Laertes and not quite enough of the Obi Wan Kenobi.  If you ask me.

No comments: