Friday, March 26, 2010

Custom Trail Mix

A few weeks ago, at my neighborhood Fresh Market, I was in the bulk food section and saw an interesting trail mix. It involved dried cherries, pistachios and cashews. I bought a container.


I loved it so much that the next day I went back and bought another container. And then my mother discovered it, too. This was going to get expensive. Then I remembered nutsonline.com, the website from which I order almonds and pine nuts for Kiwi the Grey. I wondered if they had something comparable.

Boy, did they. It’s called Custom Trail Mix.

Basically, you can take your pick of all of the stuff they sell and have them mix it together in a five pound bag. How much stuff is that? Example:

There are 11 kinds of nuts listed, plus a “mixed nuts” option. I clicked on “Almonds”. There are more than 45 options listed just under almonds. Prices vary depending on the items you choose.  I picked:

2 parts dried bing cherries

1 part dried cranberries

1 part roasted, salted pistachios

1 part roasted, salted cashews

1 part mixed nuts

As always, the order processed quickly. Once it arrived, we filled an airtight container, then put the rest of the bag in the freezer. So far, I am very pleased.

It should be noted that in the end (meaning, after I paid shipping), this was more expensive than buying five pounds of the original trail mix in the store. But seriously. Custom trail mix.

No comments: