Saturday, February 12, 2011

BTT: Ground Floor


There’s something wonderful about getting in on the ground floor of an author’s career–about being one of the first people to read and admire them, before they became famous best-sellers.
Which authors have you been lucky enough to discover at the very beginning of their careers?
And, if you’ve never had that chance, which author do you WISH you’d been able to discover at the very beginning?

Um..

I'm not interested in getting in on the "ground floor" of a writer's career. Harry Potter 7 may have been the last book that I pre-ordered. I like reading the authors that have a huge number of books out there that are just waiting for me to find them. And even then, I am kind of doing a one-book-for-one-author each year.

Margaret Atwood, Philip Roth, E.L. Doctorow, Ward Just.
And the historians: McCullough, Ellis, Schlesinger

And do you know how happy I am to have been late to the Sookie Stackhouse books? I think there are 10 out there and I have only read three. I like that there is so much more to read.

If I "discover" a writer, I am back to waiting for (and paying for) new releases!  Forget that, man.

No comments: