Friday, February 11, 2011

The Secret Adversary, by Agatha Christie

Book 8


So I was on the plane, not sleeping.  I took out the Kindle, but The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo didn't sound particularly appealing right that second.  So I took a look at what other random things I had downloaded lately.  The Secret Adversary must have been a freebie, because I had never even heard of it.  And even more odd, it does not feature that total stud, Hercule Poirot.  Did my mother download it?

Post WWI, London.  Two old chums, a young lady and young gentleman, lament their lack of fortune and resolve to be adventurers.  The are overheard and offered a job that envelopes them in matters of international espionage that dated back a few years to the Lusitania.  There is a stereotypical rich, dumb American man.  And Communists.  Scary, scary Communists.

I am happy to say that I had identified the Big, Bad Guy.  Until our heroine followed a red herring -which I totally would have done - and the terrifying truth was revealed.

So this wasn't your typical whodunnit Christie.  But it was fun.

No comments: