Saturday, April 23, 2011

USPS

We've all been hearing about the financial issues that the U.S. Postal service has been having.  We've all been hearing that changes are inevitable.  The Chicago Tribune reported on some of the local glitches as USPS makes adjustments:

"In Highland Park, residents complain they have received mail as late as 7 p.m. In Barrington, the village newsletters were delayed by up to a week, so the calendar listings were outdated by the time residents got them. Mail also is arriving later in Park Ridge."


Interestingly, there was no discussion of the possibility that Saturday service will end.  As I have chatted with people about that, I find many aren't terribly bothered by the idea of not receiving snail mail on Saturday.  But one of my techie colleagues said, "It is a problem for me.  This is a 24/7 world and killing Saturday delivery is a step in the wrong direction."


"Huh,"  was my riveting response.


For the record, I can manage some patience as USPS retools its business model.  I don't particularly care what time of day the mail arrives.  I can live without delivery Saturday service.  The week late deliveries, though, are a problem.


I have also had late newsletters, periodicals, and promotions delivered.  Last weekend, I received notice of an awesome sale.   From two weeks before.  First world problem, I realize.  But I rather wanted to complain to someone.


I didn't want to complain to USPS.  It seemed like kicking them while they are down.  The vendor, perhaps?  Eh.  They'll just chew out the USPS for me.


This, Ladies and Gentlemen, are what blogs are for.

No comments: