Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Costco

I go to Costco about once a month. Contact lenses and supplies are my primary driver. Also paper products and some of their fresh foods. As I threw the gigantic package of toilet paper into my cart, I wondered if it was really a good deal. Better that on sale at the grocery store? I have never done the math. MSN did it for me in this article.

The answer is no. Paper products are not a good deal.

Milk is good. Meat (as long as you are going to eat it) is good. Frozen foods are ok, but only if you have the storage space (and for my mini pizza bagels, I make room). Their ready to bake pizza is good, but I literally cannot fit it into my oven.

Electronics at Costco are a good deal. I normally pass it up for 12 months/no interest at Best Buy, but perhaps those TVs are worth another look.

The best deal at Costco, which is no surprise to me, is good booze:

"Warehouse clubs sell more Bordeaux than fine-wine shops," says Natalie MacLean, the editor of NatDecants.com, a wine education site. Costco recently offered a magnum of Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes 1997 for $500 -- $300 cheaper than the price on WineAccess.com.

You can read the entire article here.

1 comment:

Fluffycat said...

That was interesting. I think part of why I buy TP at Costco is because I love having a lot of it, and also they sell the good stuff. Trader Joe's where I do most of my shopping has very sandpapery toilet paper.