Friday, June 19, 2009

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

Book 26
I am pretty sure I had to read Fahrenheit 451 in high school, but I didn’t much remember the details. Picked up a student copy (obvious from the cover page notes) at the Library Used Book Store.

There isn’t much left to say about this one that hasn’t been said a million times before. It was a way better read as an adult. Some of the “future” details are uncanny. My favorite was getting cash in the middle of the night because there were robot tellers available 24/7. Also, the part about the presidential election:

A good looking guy named Noble vs. a runty guy named Hoag. Who is going to win? And the quote was something like, “Why would they even run a guy like that?” Which, of course, we hear regularly - who “they” run for office.

The only disappointing thing is that the world view is so small. That is by design, I understand. But some expanded stories from that universe might have been interesting.

No comments: