Thursday, March 12, 2009

Talking Cutbacks

MSN Money ran an article the other day called, “10 Cutbacks You’ll See At Work”. As I read through the list and saw things like “Travel” and “Parties”, I thought that was nothing and I am happy to be working.

“Eliminating 401(k) match”? OK. “Hiring freeze”? We’re doing that. Not too long ago, one of the news magazines asked the question, “Would you take a 10% cut in pay so that your employer didn’t have to lay off 10% of the workforce? How about 20%?”

That one could give you a headache.

The “Healthcare” one could hurt. We have struggled for years to maintain a balance between company cost and what we pass on to employees. And I am not entirely sure how I feel about the “Training Budget” one. On one hand, there are things – like Harassment Prevention – where I just don’t want to mess with it. On the other hand, if that is a line item on the budget cuts that can ultimately save jobs, I can’t argue.

So today, let those of us that are working be thankful. And make sure that our résumés are current.

No comments: