Monday, October 5, 2009

21 Dog Years: Doing Time at Amazon.com, by Mike Daisey


Book 38

Another book that I picked up while researching Amazon.com.  This was much less useful for a scholarly study.  And sometimes, it made me cringe.  Most memorable for my poor psyche was the last straw before Daisey quit his job:

Someone left a spreadsheet in the bathroom that had all of the salary information in his department.  He made copies and distributed it.

He talks about his work from customer service to business development as a big snow job that he pulled on the suits.  Which is kinda funny and kinda makes me insane.

I just figured it out: this book is like Office Space.  Where every member of my generation is going to find it funny except for me because I work in HR. 

There were some moments that even I found funny.  Like when his fiancee asked why he is always ripping on France; he told her that he had been doing it for so long that he doesn't even remember. 

Apparently, Daisey is now doing one-man shows and writing books.  I bet that if I were listening to him telling his stories, rather than reading them while I am working my butt off to finish a graduate degree in management, I would beter appreciate it.  But even so, he makes a great point in this book: there is no way you will be able to do really good work at a job you can't stand.  So follow your passion.  Or something.

No comments: