Monday, October 19, 2009

Book Wars

They're actually calling it Book Wars.  MSNBC, among others, is reporting that Wal-Mart and Amazon.com are engaging in a price war with certain new releases going for $9.  In other words, they are selling for a loss.  Just to tick each other off, I guess.

I can't stand Wal-Mart, and I much prefer Barnes & Noble to Amazon.  Also, I've been particularly judgemental about books since I heard the rule of thumb that if the author's name is larger than the title on the cover, it's a bad book. 

But this is a bit scary.  Remember that horrible movie, "You've Got Mail"?  Meg Ryan had a decent line.  She disdainfully told the camera that she heard Tom Hanks' character compare the selling of books to the selling of cans of olive oil.

That's how I feel about this.  I realize that I don't get to talk, inasmuch as I buy so (soooo) many of my books used these days.  But it offends my little sensibilities.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way.  Maybe I should just be happy that Amazon isn't letting the Evil Empire off easy.


No comments: