Saturday, October 23, 2010

BTT - Foreign

Name a book (or books) from a country other than your own that you love. Or aren’t there any?

There are a thousand.  But off the top of my head:

My favorite book from another country is A Christmas Carol.  Followed by...a lot of other Dickens and Jane Austen.  But I am going to pretend for a minute that the question refers to a book translated from a foreign language.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch , by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, was a "One Book, One Chicago" pick and can be blamed for my gravitating back to the Russian writers.  It is a short novel of one man's day in the gulag and it does a lot with the themes of survival and integrity.

The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas most certainly rocks, which reminds me that The Club Dumas, by Arturo Perez-Reverte, was pretty awesome, too.  I have a couple more of his books waiting in line for me right now.

But if I may make a plug for my old professor, Arnost Lustig, his Lovely Green Eyes is a new favorite.  That may be cheating, because I am pretty sure he was still in the States at the time it was published, but it was originally written in his native Czech.  Lustig has written several novels of the Holocaust, and this was a post-war story of a young survivor.  Which reminds me that I have a couple of other novels about Prague hanging around that I should really get to, already.

No comments: