Friday, October 29, 2010

BTT - Skeletons

In honor of Halloween this weekend:

What reading skeletons do you have in your closet? Books you’d be ashamed to let people know you love? Addiction to the worst kind of (fill in cheesy genre here)? Your old collection of Bobbsey Twin Mysteries lovingly stored behind your “grown-up” books? You get the picture … come on, confess!

Oh, hell.

Flowers in the Attic. The whole series. All of my friends read it in junior high and the horrible Kristy Swanson movie came out around that time. Twenty-some years later, with an overflowing library and I cannot trash those four so-worn-out-they’re-taped-together paperback novels.  I should really get it in hardcover.  Wait.  No.

Interestingly enough, I was reading one discussion board or another where someone asked if our mothers knew we read those books. Because they are, you know, trashy. And sort of unfit for children.

My mother knew I read them. She bought them for me. So I went and asked her if she knew what they were about. No. So I told her. “What?! No! I just knew they were in the Horror section! Next to the Stephen King! You had already read all the Stephen King!”

So true.

No comments: