Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Book 40 

Finally, finally.

It's not that this was a bad book.  It just has so many layers.  The plot was fascinating and I was continually frustrated by the fact that it wouldn't move when I wanted to know what happens next.

One father, three sons from two different wives.  Complicated relationships.  Theology, philosophy, love and hate.  A lot of people behaving badly. 

Also, I felt like Russia was a character in herself.  There was a bit of a monologue at the end where one brother is talking about running off to America and he makes it sound like death.  That was pretty cool.

This is a good example of a book that I might have gotten more from if it hadn't taken so long.  And I am not going to spend any more time writing about it, either.

No comments: