Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hercule Poirot's Christmas: A Holiday Mystery, by Agatha Christie

Book 43 - 50 Book Challenge
Book 2 -  Holiday Challenge

I didn't know that Agatha Christie had done any holiday novels, so I was really jazzed when I saw this one that feature Hercule Poirot, who I think is a total riot.  The premise is extremely basic:

Rich old invalid asks his entire estranged family to gather around him at the old manor house for Christmas.  They all show up, he acts like a jerk, makes the phone call to his lawyer to change his will and is murdered on Christmas Eve.  Poirot happens to be visiting a law enforcement friend in the next county or something.

The Lee family is mixed with the usual stereotypes, but interestingly enough, I generally liked them all.  There is the usual subplot with suspicion of the staff and a question of theft. 

The mystery built pretty well.  I had guessed one of the twists correctly, but even that was a red herring.  The "whodunnit" made sense.  The "how it was done" was pretty convoluted.  But overall it was a whole lot of fun.

However, the "holiday theme" was extremely weak.

3 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Having problems sourcing Christmas reads, even my library should have/be able to get hold of a copy of this. Thanks for an insightful review, I enjoyed reading your thoughts. You are more than welcome to drop by

http://pettywitter.blogspot.com/2010/11/hogfather.html

to see my 2nd review for this challengse, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. Best wishes, PW

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Just wanted to let you know I also read and reviewed this as one of my holiday reads. I hope you don't mind that I have linked to it in my post which will be published later this week.

Wakela said...

I didn't realize that Agatha Christie did a Christmas story either. Hmm.. Maybe I will look to see if my sister has it in her collection. If so, I can read it for next year.