Monday, March 24, 2008

At the Refuge - Fred


This is Fred, an Umbrella Cockatoo. He is very friendly and not much trouble, relative to other cockatoos I know. Just about every Wednesday, I let Fred out of his cage straight away. He likes to come out and climb on his roof and have a snack and see everyone. He is so easy-going that the only reason I can think of that he has not been adopted is that he is a feather picker. Proves to me that people are dumb (says she with the most beautifully feathered African Grey in all the land).


I have never had to worry about him going to bother other birds, so I don't always watch him very closely while I am going about my business taking care of the cages.


Last week, when I went to check on him, he was on another cage. Papua's. Papua is a sulfer crested cockatoo and has a reputation. For being an attempted man-killer, I believe. She and I have always gotten along fine, but I panicked to see Fred on her cage. I very calmly ordered him down. He got down - unheard of for a bird, but that's Fred.


I looked over and saw that Papua was right where Fred had been. No one was bleeding, so I wondered if they had made friends. I picked Fred up and went back over to Papua. They started birdie kissing through the bars.


Huh. So Fred is a ladies' bird. He is available for adoption and you can find more information about him here.

No comments: