Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Library


I just started volunteering at my local library in July. Friends of the Glenview Public Library started a Used Book Store (UBS) to raise funds. Books are donated and volunteers staff the space in three hour shifts during all library working hours.

I thought this was the coolest thing I had ever heard. For a volunteer gig, I mean. I get to sit in the library for three hours, reading my own books and taking people's money once in awhile. Sign me right up.

When I started my first class at BU, Principles of Marketing, I found the final project was to write a complete marketing plan. I chose UBS. Our director was unbelievably supportive and I learned a lot. The project only earned a B, but when I sent it over to the UBS director, she said, "I only have scanned this (will read it thoughtfully this weekend), but already I would give you 100+++ ". This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I volunteer.

I wonder if I only managed a "B" because I worried more about being realistic for UBS and less about the actual outline of the assignment? Whatever. I can't wait to see if any of it can be of practical use.

No comments: