Monday, April 27, 2009

Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery


Book 16
I read Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery because I had never read it before. As a child, I thought it would be a bit too Little House on the Prairie for me. And I didn’t like Little House on the Prairie.

I had seen some of the PBS cartoon, so I was hopeful.

I loved it in the beginning. Orphan girl adopted by an older, unmarried farmer that lives with his sister. The farmer, Matthew, is the type that can’t even speak in the company of ladies. His sister, Marilla, is all stern and sensible. Anne is all sensibility. And she talks too much.

For the first half of the book, I found it charming. Later on, I started skipping over her monologues.

As a whole, I can see why this book was so popular. In the post-Harry Potter era, however, it is bound to lose its sparkle.

No comments: