Thursday, December 31, 2009

75 Cage Rattling Questions to Change the Way You Work, by Dick Whitney and Melissa Giovagnoli

Book 49
I was sitting in my friend Kim’s cubicle in Fargo when I saw 75 Cage Rattling Questions to Change the Way You Work, by Dick Whitney and Melissa Giovagnoli. Kim said she received the book at some training session or another and hadn’t read it yet. And I could borrow it, but I’d better give it back.

The first question hooked me:

“What would your organization be like if your mother ran it?”

The authors offer ways to use the question, good stories with their experiences and ways your participants might derail the question (and how to get back on track). I could dig that.

It is, of course, mainly for facilitators. But there is some interesting material for the average person to consider:

“If you worked in a big, glass fishbowl, what might you do differently?”

This book was well-done, but I was over it by about question 50. Although to be fair, it was probably meant more as a reference book than something to be read from page 1 through to the end in a sitting or two.  Whatever.  Sending this back to Kim now.

No comments: