Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hand Washing and Sanitizing

Good Morning America had a piece this morning on the mega-business of hand sanitizers and the people that are using them 30+ times a day. I went online to take another look and it isn’t up yet, but I found an article they did in October that I found interesting:


They did an experiment comparing bar soap, liquid soap, (with and without out the “anti-bacterial”) and sanitizers (with and without alcohol). The results? “Technique is more important than technology”, meaning wash for at least twenty seconds with soap and water.

Also, “Experts say washing with soap and water is first choice, especially if you have visible dirt on your hands. Sanitizer can't cut through that grime. Hand sanitizer is great for when you can't get to soap and water, and it's actually more effective at eliminating germs because it kills them rather than just removing them.”

Personally, I wash my hands regularly and have a hand sanitizer around, but don’t use it very often. 30+ times a day? Do you know how drying that is? I can’t imagine how much hand cream I’d go through if I did that.

No comments: