Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sticker Shock

I purchased and wrapped gifts for my father, my stepmother and their dog.  I placed them in the box from my last toysrus.com order and filled it in with the eco-friendly shipping peanuts from my last order with Drs Foster and Smith.  I taped up the box.  I could have taken it to work, sent it UPS and repaid my employer.  But it seemed easier to take it to the post office on Saturday and be done.

The nice lady behind the counter handed me a fresh shipping label and asked if I wanted to insure the box.  Knowing that UPS automatically insures up to $100, I asked if USPS does the same.  No.  What would it cost to  insure?  Upwards of $30.  Then no.  What about signature delivery?  No.

So basically, I sent a 9 pound box regular ground USPS.  There is no insurance, no guaranteed delivery date and no signature guarantee.  And what did this cost?

$22.50.

I will not be making that mistake again.

1 comment:

Ellen @ Drs. Foster and Smith said...

By reusing our biodegradable packing peanuts, you made them even more "green!" (Did you know they melt when held under water?)Thanks for your order and for mentioning Drs. Foster & Smith. Happy holidays!