Friday, May 13, 2011

BTT - Age Appropriate

Do you read books “meant” for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you’re grown; Picture books just for kicks … You know … books not “meant” for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what’s written for people your age?


This is funny because I regularly lament the lack of age-appropriate books in my childhood.  Apparently, until there was Harry Potter, there was no money to be made in publishing tween books.  So I was reading Stephen King in the 5th grade.  And don't get me started on V.C. Andrews.


While I read the Potter series, I have not picked up Twilight, The Hunger Games or anything by The Golden Compass guy.


There are just too many books to read and I need a compelling reason to go back to the YA genre.


However, I have been reading books with my nephew Alex, age 6.  More than a few Scooby-Doo mysteries.  Abe Lincoln's Hat (pictured), which I may have mentioned before, was awesome.  Oh!  And the Duck books.


I can't wait to start debating the merits of S.E. Hinton with him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been known to read a YA book here and there. I've read all the usual suspects of course (HP, Narnia, Unfortunate Events...). I have also read some other YA books that aren't in the popular culture. I feel this way. If people stare let them, I have leared to read which entitles me to read anything I gosh darn please! :)

Fluffycat said...

I've read a lot recently about The Hunger Games, I suppose because they are making a movie, and keep thinking I should have a look at that at least.