Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is it Fall Yet?

Weekend Assignment #332: Back To School

In just a couple weeks, students will be heading back to school. Share with us what that means in your life. Are you currently shopping for school supplies for the students in your life? Are you planning on going back to school? Maybe everyone around you is rushing to get ready for the new school year, but you can sit back and relax. Tell us what that's like.

Extra Credit: Tell us what you liked the most and disliked the most about the first day of school!

I don't have kids and I finished what I expect was my final degree program last January.  I am sitting for a certification exam in December, though.  So perhaps I should get moving.  I have already bought my books and a new notebook.

I love new notebooks.

Back to School also means new clothes - which I have been buying.  And Pumpkin Spice and Apple Cider.  And football.  Football!  And being able to get a table at Noodle's at lunchtime.

At work, it means things are gearing up.  Every year, Tuesday after Labor Day, a whole bunch of us fly to our next convention location for a pre-conference planning meeting.  It is funny that for some people, the Labor Day vacation is the end of summer and for me it is the trip after the holiday weekend that does it.

My nephew is starting kindergarten on Monday.  He doesn't seem to see the milestone.  He's "been to school before".  He doesn't understand that every year is a fresh start and every class is different.  He thinks a clique is the noise that tells him his seat belt is buckled.  I am not one of those people that wants a do-over.  I feel like I did my time, thank you very much.  But still.  There is just the smallest little piece of my soul that envies him.

Excuse me while I go kill it.

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Okay, the question for me is, why is Noodles easier to get into at lunchtime, and why is the place named after my dog of the early 1990s? ;) Seriously, though, what's the place like? Is it Italian? Ramen? Something else?

Anne said...

Noodles & Company is a quick service pasta chain. It has American, Asian and Mediterranean varieties as well as some soups and salads. I love it because it is real food that doesn't cost too much or take too long.

They tend to locate near movie theatres, such that during the summer, it is filled with children stopping to eat before or after seeing a film. Combine that with those of us trying to get a break from the work day and the place gets packed. Here is the website:

http://www.noodles.com/

Now tell me, please. Why would you name a dog Noodles?