Saturday, August 21, 2010

Niagara: A History of the Falls, by Pierre Berton

Book 35

So I was wandering the Big Box book store in Toronto, looking for my little souvenir book, when I found Niagara: A History of the Falls, by Pierre Berton.  It seems Berton is one of the better, or at least more popular, Canadian historians.

The book has a pretty good balance of the "discovery" and development of the Falls.  The inevitable exploitation and battles of the preservationists.  The tourists and those that prey on them.  The adventurers and the even crazier people.  To my shame, I have no great interest in the science of harnessing the power of electricity.  But even in those parts, Berton makes the characters interesting.

It was, however, a really slow read.  Bad time for it, too.  I've been spending too much time in the bookstores and then was forced to bring an entire bag home from the Arlington Heights Library Book Sale.  Excuse me while I find something lighter now.

No comments: