Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Daria, The Complete Series


Daria was an MTV cartoon - a spin off of Beavis and Butthead, if you can believe it.

I've waited for-about-ever for the series to be released on DVD.  The problem was in getting the rights to all of the music on the show.  Unlike 90210, however, Daria's creators were able to pull out all of the problem material without negatively affecting the rest of the content.  Seriously, I wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't mentioned it.  Advantages of being a cartoon, I guess.

I am happy to say that so far, this show has held up.  It helps that isn't particularly old.  And to say that I have some things in common with this character is a bit of an understatement.  I particularly enjoy watching the evolution of Daria's crush on Trent Lane.  It goes from Can't Speak in His Presence to Getting the Navel Pierced Because He Thought it Would Be Cool to Oh, That's Why I Could Never Really Date Him to something resembling friendship.

I was annoyed that the two movies, Is it Fall Yet? and Is it College Yet? are "Extras" and thus pulled out of chronological order.  The former was a pretty important bridge between the last two seasons.  The latter was really the show's finale, so it was less of a problem. 

And speaking of the Extras, I don't normally bother with them.  Unless it is Star Wars or something.  But this had the Freakin' Friends video, which I always loved.  And Daria and Jane hosting MTV's Top Ten Animated Videos. 

So it was worth the wait.  Worth the forty bucks or whatever that I paid for it.  Worth letting Mad Men sit around gathering dust while I watched every last minute.

No comments: