Wednesday, July 30, 2008

At the Refuge - Cyril




Cyril is a Pionus parrot. Check out those gorgeous feathers! I don't know her very well and I don't know Pionus parrots very well. But in the interest of getting outside of my comfort zone, I was working in her room tonight. She made quite an impression.

The first thing I saw was an egg. In her cage. She was up on a perch, not particlarly interested in it.

When my African Grey, Kiwi, lays an egg, she turns into a holy terror. She will not leave her cage and she will charge at anyone that comes close. Wait. I think I have a picture of this:



See? Serious business. But Cyril took it in stride. I literally removed the egg in order to change her paper and she didn't move. She let me pet her head. And when I brought her dinner, she chowed right down. No drama at all.

She has had some medical issues, but it looks like she is just on some dietary supplements at this point. "Sweetheart" is her reputation among the volunteers. Cyril is up for adoption and you can read more about her here.

No comments: