Wednesday, July 9, 2008

At the Refuge - Pepito


We don't take in many small parrots, and when we do we don't keep them very long. Easier to place, I guess. Pepito is our current resident shorty. Isn't he darling?


Pepito is pretty nippy, so he wasn't getting much time out of the cage. In fact, I'm not sure I saw anyone else picking him up. One night, when he didn't want to go back in he started biting my hands. The thing is that if a bird bites, people don't want to handle them. If people don't handle them, the problem gets worse.


So I bring Pepito out to have a snack and wander around every week. I fold up a towel, place it on my hands and offer it to him. He jumps right up, all charming-like. I give him a snack and he chows down while I work on cleaning cages. When he is done, he might wander around exploring the counter for a bit. Then it is time to go back to his own space.


I will drop a towel over his head and swoop him up. He is not afraid of towels the way many birds are, which is great. Then I deposit him back on the floor of his cage and he goes to eat his real dinner. Every one is happy.


Pepito is available for adoption and you can read more about him here.

No comments: