Sunday, May 10, 2009

Did I Miss It?

Several years ago - either 2001 or 2002 – I missed the whole summer. I probably took a vacation of some sort, but somehow, when the fall came, I realized that I didn’t remember the leaves coming back to the tree in my front yard. And they were falling again. I realized that I hadn’t seen a single firefly that year. Needless to say, I’d been having a killer time of it at work.

Also needless to say, the vow was that it would never happen again.

Last week I was walking around Lake Glenview and the Canada Geese were leading the babies around the water. I had a moment of panic – was I missing it again? No, I realized. It was the first week in May. That was about when the goslings hatched and that was about when the tulips bloomed and that was about when the leaves started coming back to my tree.



(sigh)


It’s like I’m some bizarre kind of Springtime Scrooge.

No comments: