Friday, May 29, 2009

Liquor, by Poppy Z. Brite


Book 19

I hadn't read any of Brite's books before, but there was an essay in one of my New Orleans books so I thought I should check her out. Liquor is the first in a series of at least three. The plot involves a pair of childhood friends - now lovers - that have an interesting concept for a restaurant. They have just been fired from a restaurant that is clearly based on Margaritaville. I am embarrassed to say that I have eaten there.

As luck would have it, they know a guy that is friendly with a guy so clearly based on Emeril that even I spotted it. The Emeril-guy goes in with them as a silent-ish partner.

So. A funny/satire/kinda suspenseful book about the New Orleans restaurant scene? I am in.

The characters didn't suck, the plot was only half-convoluted and I was really interested in the commentary on the industry. I particularly like the contrast between cooking for the locals and cooking for the tourists - apparently the locals take issue with Emeril catering so completely to that crowd.

Hello. That's where the money is.

I learned that the strawberry sno-cone is the official hangover treat of the gods. I learned that a new restaurant has to be tough with the vendors right from the start or they will be supplied with bad tomatoes for all eternity. I learned that some people will really try anything.
And it was a lot of fun.

No comments: