Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dropping Books

I can't tell you when I last put a book down for real. So as not to finish it and start something else.

Wait..ok, I can. Bill Clinton's autobiography. And the Alison Weir about Mary Queen of Scots. And that other one about Queen Victoria's death.

But I am going back to those. Every single one. Someday.

I read five or six chapters of Alice Sebold's book, The Almost Moon, and was so disgusted that I dropped it. I am not going to finish it. It is going straight to the pile of donations for the library book sale.

What went wrong here?

Nevermind. This is not worth lamenting. I have got to stop choosing material based on what all the books clubs are reading.

But you know, I really chose it because I read Sebold's first two books - The Lovely Bones and Lucky, the memoir - and enjoyed them both. My to-be-read bookcase is filled with material that I chose because I liked the author's other books. Ann Patchett, Solzhenitsyn, Ward Just...and oh, my. So much Philip Roth.

I am disillusioned.

So I pulled Raymond Chandler off the shelf. Should've done that in the first place.

No comments: