I just finished the second blanket for Project Linus. For my "records":
Caron Soft Yarn - Lt. Country Blue, Country Blue, Dk Country Blue
(My mother says it reminded her of the Dallas Cowboys.) Project Linus makes a point that they always need blankets for older kids, so this was pretty large. They also ask for neutral colors, which I decided just means No Pink. Oh, darn.
I decided to work in strips, so that each piece would be portable until I put it together at the end. I used a much smaller hook than I normally do, and while it worked fine for the yarn, it took forever and snagged more often than made me happy. I don't think I will do that again.
This took me from just before Christmas until right now. That's too long, I think.
The big, painful thing that I learned is that it doesn't matter what the label says, the skeins are not the same. I ended up having to add rows to each piece (meaning all but one) at the end to make them come out even.
However, I also learned that I can make stuff up and it turns out ok. Even when I only know how to do one stitch. And I am nearly through my second audio book, too.