Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Winter Work

Weekend Assignment # 352: Winter Work

Now that the new year has begun, most of us are back at work, with only a few holidays to look forward to over the next several months. Most of us in the Northern Hemisphere wake now to cold, dark mornings, and may see little or no daylight on our morning and evening commutes. What is this time of year like for you? Are you more productive in the bleak midwinter, less so, or neither? What is the weather like where you are, and do you enjoy it?

Extra Credit: Are you still working on unfinished business from last year? 


I live outside of Chicago and I have, historically, had a problem with mid-to-late winter. In school, third quarter always netted my worst grades of the year. I get cabin fever pretty easily and February always feels like the longest month of the year.

I cope.

I used to have some winter milestones - Christmas being the first. Then in early January, I have Big Work Meeting. A couple of weeks later is the Super Bowl. Then there is nothing to look forward to until Spring, which I marked by a certain conference in April. I don't attend it any more, so I will need a new "OK, We are Done Now" marker.

Last year, for the first time, I took a real Winter Vacation. I will be doing it again next month and hopefully, that will get me through to the Spring.

Like many people, a lot of my work is cyclical. By the calendar. So there aren't many things i categorize as "unfinished" for the New Year. I am sure I have some, though.

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Funny how we mark out days on the calendar as something to look forward to, while we remain mired in the now. I wonder how much it helps. Regardless, though, I hope you have a great winter vacation!