Wednesday, August 13, 2008

At the Refuge - Molly 2

If I thought for a second that my house could stand another Moluccan Cockatoo, I would be bringing this bird home.

Molly 2 is a boy. And while Cockatoos are always a handful, males Cockatoos are just not for everyone. Foolish people buy them because they are the "cuddly birds". That's one way of putting it. High maintenance might be another. Demanding. Stubbourn.

Molly 2 is very focused on people and not at all interested in other birds. In fact, two of the "ladies" at the Refuge, PJ and Rosie, have tried to make friends. He runs away. They can be a bit pushy.

Molly 2 has a very high pitched scream and he can use it. But tonight, he sat quietly on the perch in the kitchen while I worked in the front room. He ate his walnut and waited for me to come over and pet him. My friend and fellow volunteer, Jose, couldn't believe it and I must say, it was a breakthrough. "Excitable" birds can be managed. But the really bad screamers are always losing their homes.

Molly 2 steps up very nicely and can speak a few words. He is available for adoption and you can read more about him here.

No comments: