Monday, August 11, 2008

The New Semester

I came back from Florida and my school books were waiting for me. The first thing I did was get on the Internet to see if the textbook has a website. In my last two courses, the books had websites that had practice quizzes. And it is my opinion that practice quizzes are the keys to the kingdom.

Google was sending me around to buy the book, so I looked inside the text for the website. There was a Student CD Rom. With Video Clips, Study Out Lines and Web Links.

This is how school is different, and I don't think that is just about online learning. The text book companies, as opposed to the school itself, are providing the multimedia tools. Now, I'm sure that the texts are chosen in part for the compatability with the program, but I would be very interested to hear about how classroom professor are using the technology. Do classroom teachers and students bother looking at the websites?

I took the summer off, and I will be starting the new semester while on the road. Again. But I'm looking forward to getting started. Better go pick up a new notebook.

No comments: