Thursday, September 25, 2008

At the Refuge - Finding Room

I mentioned that we had a pretty bad flood at the Refuge a couple of weeks ago. Space has been crazy tight and last night I brought in two more birds: a little lovebird and a – what’s it called? A blue crowned conure?

Because we are off summer hours at work, I arrived at the Refuge early and went back to my old habit of pulling out all of the water dishes to run a load in the dishwasher. This gives be the opportunity to look in on all of the birds at the beginning of the evening. I brought out a new cockatoo, another Fred (that we think is a girl), who happily sat on the kitchen perch eating her nutriberries.

By then, the rest of the Wednesday crew is arriving and I work in the front room. Cleaning cages, giving fresh food and water and attention. When I was finished, I looked at the medicine chart. Most medicines are given in the morning and Rich, our director, takes care of those, but there are a few in the evening. On the chart were two names I didn’t recognize. So I called Rich.

There were two new birds in quarantine, but their tests just came back fine so I could bring them in and find them some space.

Right.

The new conure was great. Took her medicine straight from the syringe with no fuss at all. Wasn’t intimidated by the big cockatoo that came out to play. With big cockatoo noise. I found a place for the conure, and the lovebird came in something that would work for the time being.

And by then? I was totally exhausted. We don’t have pictures of the new birds yet. But I am working on it.

No comments: