Wednesday, September 17, 2008

At the Refuge - Peter


I walked into the Refuge tonight and knew something was wrong. What the heck was Jasper doing in here? And Peachie?

The answer is that the rain from Ike Weekend, that flooded out most of Chicago (and you wouldn't believe it in NW Indiana), flooded the basement of the Refuge. All of the birds had to come upstairs. Already crowded because of the construction of the addition.

The good news was that I got to spend a bit of time with Peter, a relatively new bird that hasn't been around much. Because at her intake appointment at the vet, it was determined that she was getting ready to lay an egg. The egg was stuck and there was an egg behind that and long story short, she had a birdie hysterectomy.

She looks great now. I didn't try to touch her, but she approached me very gently to take a treat and was talking all night. I understand she can also sing - I only heard her chirping.

Peter the Girl Amazon is up for adoption and
you can read more about her here.

No comments: