Tuesday, June 1, 2010

30 Day TV Meme - Day 15

Day 15 - Favorite female character

I was going to write about CJ Cregg for this one, but I think we have had enough of The West Wing.  And I forgot, while I was writing about my Favorite Male Character, of my love for Remington Steele.  So I am going to go ahead and lie..and say it was his partner, Laura Holt.

I really do love Laura.  She was a real private investigator that "studied..and apprenticed.." and started an agency.  The premise of the show was that she understood that she would do better business by putting a man's name on her door.  Then the mysterious Pierce Brosnan assumed the identity of the non-existent Remington Steele and they became partners.  They solved mysteries and stuff.

I liked her because she was smart and educated and methodical; where he was all flighty.  If he came up with the solve, it was because he saw it in a movie.  She was independent and responsible, attractive while avoiding the overtly sexy and generally someone you could imagine being your friend.  (Unlike a certain strictly-rational FBI agent with a flighty partner.)
 
I had issues with her because of her...issues.  Big deal Daddy Issues that kept her from trusting Steele.  It made sense that she didn't entirely trust him - he was a consummate liar.  I get that she would trust him with her life, but not to forgo a big Payday and abandon her.  The trouble was that they would whine at each other about it.

By the end of the series (which was rather rushed), the formula had played itself out.  But I still think Laura Holt was a really well conceived female character at a time when women weren't drawn very well.

No comments: