Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weekend Assignment: Rewind to #313

I’ve had a crappy sort of a day and have nothing positive to contribute to the conversation.  I’ve decided that when I have nothing positive to add to the conversation that I shall go to the backlog of Weekend Assignment topics – from before I started participating – and do them.  The first one was:

Weekend Assignment #313: Through some miracle of colliding realities, you have the opportunity to meet a fictional character, face to face. Which character would you most like to meet, and why?
Extra Credit: What question would you most like to ask that character? Extra extra credit for posting the character's likely reply!

Hm.  I've been asked about meeting historical figures a hundred times.  Fictional characters - not so much.  Here’s me running through my library:

Atticus Finch..Sherlock Holmes – no Hercule Poirot!  The Godfather..or the other Godfather.  Jacob Marley, the Vampire Lestat, Hawkeye Pierce…no.  I have not named a single woman.  Scarlett O’Hara..God, no.  Rhett Butler..but I just said women!  Garp’s mother – what was her name? (Jenny Fields). Oh! Clarice Starling..but I don’t really want to know.  Professor McGonagall!  That is a lame answer.  And no Hobbits or Jedi, either.  The Countess Olenska?  I guess if the question were, “Pick a fictional character to be your roommate”, she’d be an interesting pick.  Anne Elliott would be my “best friend” pick, I think.

OK – I’m going with Anne Elliott, from Jane Austen’s Persuasion.  And I would expect her to introduce me to Captain Wentworth, his sister and brother-in-law, the Crofts, her brother-in-law Charles, and…that’s it.  I don’t want to know the rest of her family.  There isn’t anything in particular I’d want to ask her, but I think those would be some great companions for a holiday in Bath.  You know, a couple hundred years ago.

No comments: