Monday, June 7, 2010

30 Day TV Meme - Day 21

Day 21 - Favorite ship


My favorite ship comes from the first time I remember hearing the term:  The X-Files.
 
The whole sexual-tension-between-partners thing is as old as television and it is rather rare to see it done well (See: Moonlighting).  I seem to recall Hunter and McCall hooking up once, but they quite rightly gave that concept the smackdown.  Some shows flirt with it - Hawkeye and Margaret on M*A*S*H, Toby and CJ on The West Wing - without taking it to the next level.  (I am not a fan of Josh and Donna.  I dug CJ and Danny, though.)
 
What made Mulder and Scully so great was that by the time they reached the point of acknowledging the multiple layers of their relationship (Read as: when Mulder moved in to kiss her already), the meta-plot picked up some serious speed.  They hit the pause button.  And Duchovny's absence/Mulder's disappearance kept it there.  By the time the series was over, it was all just "Yeah.  They ended up together."  I was fine with it. 
 
Admittedly, there was some pretty clumsy stuff.  Scully's pregnancy was just lame, I think.  And remember that one in Season..6, I think?...where they were undercover in suburbia?  There was no point to it other than teasing the shippers.
 
All the same, this was the first show where I watched the characters every week and took their temperature with every word.

No comments: