Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Will Not Be Joining the Movement

You know, the Going Green Movement. 

I have plenty of reusuable bags and while I don't use them in every store on every day, I certainly use them for groceries.  I made an effort to understand the ins and outs of home recycling and even posted about it.  In fact, now that I am looking at it, this is the 17th time I have posted something under my Green tag.

I believe I have mentioned my daily calender for 2010 is 365 little ways to go green.  They aren't all little.  And here is where I draw the bloody line:

June 3:  "Make sure you are not overheating bedrooms at night.  Not only is it a waste of energy, it's considered unhealthy to sleep in a room that is too warm.  Keep the thermostat at about 59 (degrees) F for adults and 64 (degrees) F for children and the elderly."

First of all, people, if you use the "don't sleep in a room that is too warm" argument, it hardly helps the A/C problem in the summer.  And it is summer, so this advice is coming at the wrong time for the United States.   Was it published in Australia?  No.  Wisconsin.  But more importantly - 59 degrees?!  The thermostat in my house is set at 69 in the winter and I still sleep under layers of flannel and down alternative.  The other day when the temperature dropped, my house got down to 67 and I could barely get out of bed.  I nearly turned the heat back on.  In June.  And 64 for children?  Puleeze.

It is recommendations like this that ensure I will never really be able to get on the Bandwagon.

No comments: