Sunday, June 13, 2010

30 Day TV Meme - Day 27

Day 27 - Best pilot episode


This is tough because they are getting better at this every year.  Studio 60 had one of the best pilots ever but Sorkin couldn't keep it up so as to keep his audience, so I can't count it.  Similarly, the first time I ever watched a pilot thinking, "This is the coolest thing I have ever seen" was Twin Peaks, which also couldn't uphold the standard.
 
24 did.  And so did Lost.  I am picking Lost as the official answer because it drew me in with character development as much as OMG action.  You see Jack Shepard the Hero on the island, taking care of everyone in crisis mode, and then you flashback to his real life where you can see right from the start that he is kind of an ass.  And you think, "I hope he gets to go home, be happy and be a better person."  And whatever the action, whatever the mythology, that is really what the show was about.
 
I'm going to miss that one.

2 comments:

utter scoundrel said...

I thought you weren't supposed to swear on this blog? Not admonishing you, I just thought...

I would pick 24. I didn't start watching Lost properly until the second season...

Anne said...

24's was fabulous. But I don't think I watched it more than one time. Maybe two. I've probably seen the Lost pilot a half dozen times.

About the swearing..I told you I'm getting worse. So today I am going to say...if the words flies on network TV, it is ok on this blog.