Monday, June 7, 2010

Dracula: Origin

I picked up this game on clearance at the holiday sale at Half Price Books.  I wasn't really interested in one more Dracula game, but I realized that some of the people that worked on this game did the Agatha Christie games that I kinda liked.

The first thing I did, while the game was loading, was Google the walkthroughs.  Because I am a big cheater.  And ever since the incident with the orange juice and conducting electricity (on the Orient Express game), I don't even feel dumb.  Or guilty.

The player is Van Helsing, trying to rescue that foolish Mina.  Poor Harker is toast.  There are some puzzles, as well as some problem solving, but I am really in it for the storytelling.  It was ok.

However, the feature in the interface that I really liked was that when you hit the spacebar, the screen will highlight with all of your options - the hand for places you should do something, the eye for places you should see something and the footprints for where you can move to a new screen.  Very convenient for cheaters having a "what the heck haven't I done here?" moment.

This would have been good for a weekend - if there hadn't been two hockey games that weekend.

No comments: