Monday, December 6, 2010

About Cars

Weekend Assignment # 347: Car Crazy


Some people are car connoisseurs, able to discuss the finer points of 1960 Corvette engines, find or build replacement Model T parts, or argue the merits of the latest high-end Italian sports car. (Okay, maybe it's not the same person in each of these scenarios, but you get the idea.) Other people know a lot about their own beloved car and its automotive brethren, but not much about other cars. Still others are mostly just concerned whether their car still gets them to work and back safely. How about you? Do you pay attention to automotive trends, or quickly identify the unusual car sitting next to you at the light? What is the extent of your knowledge and interest in cars?

Extra Credit: If a long lost rich uncle insisted on buying you any car you wanted, as long as you promised to keep it and drive it around, what kind would you get?
 
I love driving.  I have always loved driving.  Before I could drive, I dreamed about driving.  In fact, the last couple of years, as my commute has been really aggravating, I have worried that I might actually lose my love for driving. 
 
That would make me mad.
 
I am not, however, a connoisseur.  I fancied that I could be.  I once had posters of Italian sports cars in my bedroom.  (Next to Walter Payton and James Dean.)  But in reality, my love is more of an open-road, wind-in-my-hair, independent Americana kind of love.  In fact, all of my cars have been SUVs - Ford or GM. 
 
I love a good road trip.  But I don't even do that like a normal person. I keep saying that I am going to stop to see the World's Largest Ball of Twine or whatever, but I never do.  Because driving for twelve hours straight is fun.  I remember a couple of years ago when I drove by myself to South Dakota.  I said I was going to see Mt. Rushmore and not talk to anyone for five days except to say, "Yes, I would like fries with that."
 
It. Was. Awesome.
 
I went to Hawaii earlier this year.  The volcano was on the other side of the island from my hotel and it was a good 2.5 hour drive to get there.  I got to drive for two and a half hours in Hawaii.  And at the end, there was a volcano!  It was great! 
 
And I am doing it again next year.
 
The truth is that if I had a rich uncle that wanted to buy me a car, it wouldn't be the biggest deal.  My fantasy doesn't involve zero to sixty in .04 seconds.  It is to have more than one car - one for summer and one for winter.  Of course, that would require a bigger garage...

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Great point! I love to drive, too, if I'm not too tired, not in a big hurry and there's stuff to see and do along the way. Before our only trip to Hawaii, a tiny 3 day thing, I was advised not to bother renting a car. Wrong! We spent most of the vacation (excluding flight time) driving around, doing and seeing stuff. And we'd do it again if we could!