Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years

Weekend Assignment # 351: What Are You Doing New Year's?

Where do you typically spend New Year's Eve? What are you usually doing when the big moment arrives? Will this year be as usual, or are you doing something different?

Extra Credit: To the best of your recollection, have you ever managed to keep a New Year's resolution for more than a week?

Here's my resolution: quit waiting until the last minute to do my Assignment!

When I was younger, I made a point to be out of town on New's Years.  It started with 1999, when my friends wanted to do something special.  But we had to pick a destination that did not involve airplanes.  Just in case.  We went to Galena, Illinois - a popular weekend spot for Chicagoans.

In the years that followed, there was a cruise, a trip to Lake Tahoe and one to Disney.  Eventually, though, it seemed like a lot of trouble to coordinate and rather expensive to take a short trip over a holiday.  

These days, my friends Jenny and Noah host the party on New Years Eve.  It is not a fancy, dress up affair.  We all just head over at whatever time in the afternoon and play games and catch up and eat all of the food that we want to get out of our houses before Monday.

I generally spend New Years Day with my family, laying around like slugs and watching Bowl games.  

I don't make New Years Resolutions in the traditional sense.  For a couple of years, I set goals for reading books, school and volunteering.  I seem to have forgotten to do that in 2010.  I ought to give that some thought.

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I love the idea of a low-key party with friends to get rid of naughty food. Happy New Year!