Monday, December 27, 2010

Giving Credit Where Due

This story starts with me being an ungrateful brat:

There was only one thing of the tangible, go-to-the-store-and-buy-it-for-me variety that I put on my Christmas list.  Didn't get it.  Got lots of good stuff.  My mother in particular was listening to me talk about new laptops and charitable contributions and stuff.  But no one picked up Season Two of Mad Men on DVD.

Happily, Target has it on sale for $14.99 (and so, it seems, does Amazon), which is a way better deal than anyone could have gotten for me, anyway.  So I went in to get it. It wasn't there, but Target is so kind as to leave Raincheck tickets, so that you can have the sale price when the product is back in stock.  So I picked up a ticket and a few other things and got into the checkout line.

(Note: On the grand List of Places You Should Not Take Your Children:  The toy aisle in the week after Christmas.  You know you aren't going to buy the kid anything, so why are you torturing him?  The next parent I hear say, "You just got a whole pile of toys for Christmas" while standing in the toy aisle is going to get my Laser Stare of Death.)

The Raincheck ticket is supposed to be scanned, and a printout with a date is given to the customer.  The cashier couldn't make it work, so she sent me to the Customer Service desk.  The one where people are returning things.  The queue was a dozen people deep.  I nearly walked out of the store, but I figured I could read a book and give it a minute to see if the line moves. 

I didn't even manage to take the book out.  That line moved.  After all the aggravation in all of the stores I visited today, Target wins my Official Approval and Thanks.  (Except for the part where the cashier couldn't make it work.)

No comments: