Sunday, December 5, 2010

Regarding the First Snowfall of the Season

Dear Cook County:

Thank you for making this first "storm" of the season a non-event.

I was out the door at 8:30 Saturday morning.  The streets were passable, the drivers reasonable and even the shoppers made an effort to not double park all day long.  Obviously, it helped that the snow fell over a Friday night and Saturday morning.

The kids had a great time, I didn't see any car accidents and there were only a few traffic lights out.  Well done.

However.  Please note that "passable" streets are not the same as "clean" streets.  What works over a weekend will not work over a Monday morning commute.  There is still plenty of slush and ice covering the roads and I have not seen any trucks out today.  (Although admittedly, I haven't left the house since kickoff at noon.)

I appreciate that the drivers needed a rest and it is their weekend, too.  (And you are trying not to spend my tax dollars on overtime pay.)  But it has been a full 24 hours since the snow stopped.  Please get this done before morning.

Thanks for your attention.

No comments: