Sunday, March 6, 2011

Toy Show

Weekend Assignment #360: Toy Show

Do you have any old toys or dolls from your childhood, either the originals or replacements purchased as an adult? If so, tell us about them.

Extra Credit: Is there a particular toy from your childhood that you especially remember as a favorite?

There are a few stuffed animals that were favorites, and a couple that I still have.  But really, it was about the books. 

The earliest favorite was The Monster at the End of this Book.  That was Grover.

The Ramona books were particular favorites.  A couple were recently re-issued in "read aloud" editions that I have been picking up for Alex.  Lovely hardcover books with a few more illustrations.  He has been digging them.

Of course, the Judy Blumes were popular in my house when we were older

The special favorite was Little Witch, by Anna Elizabeth Bennet.  Long out of print, we still have the old paperback version, but I haven't seen a decent hardcover copy for less than $75.  Not worth it.  

I have bought and borrowed so many books for the nephew and nieces, that I wonder whether they will have the same old favorites that we had when we were kids.  The one that they have to have over and over every night.  Good for me.  But are they missing something?

I don't care.  As long as they are readers.

1 comment:

Josie said...

I loved all Judy Blume books when I was younger. I think children's fiction and young adult fiction has really taken off now and kids these days have so many great writers to choose from.
Josie x
http://josiespeaksup.blogspot.com/