Friday, March 18, 2011

Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, by Patton Oswalt

Book 18  

I think I grabbed this audio book to fill out an order from bn.com , and it was such a quick read (three discs) that I am almost embarrassed to include it in the count.  Oswalt is a geek that does stand up comedy, so you know that there are going to be self-esteem issues.

The title comes from an idea that, "before all young minds have anything to write about, they will home in on one of three storylines: zombies, spaceships, or wastelands".  He argues that Darth Vader is effectively a zombie on a spaceship  that came from a wasteland.  OK, then.

Personally, I preferred vampires.

I like Oswalt's personal stories much better than his schtick (I totally could have done without the hobo chapter), and I imagine that the schtick does better on this audio version than in print.  Also, there is a "bonus chapter" on the first disc that is not a "bonus" at all, but the pdf of a graphic chapter that couldn't be translated well enough into audio.  Which you find out in Disc 2.

I could probably read Oswalt again.  But I will not be seeking him out on Comedy Central.

1 comment:

John said...

He has no other books.

Coincidentally, he was performing here in Chicago this past weekend. I didn't get to see him, though.